Thursday, August 12, 2010

Timing

According to latest speculation, based on a number of factors including the eleven months which have passed for the next set of families waiting for approval/referral, our wait has gone up considerably since we began this process.  When we started, we thought perhaps we'd be traveling to pick up our daughter late winter/early spring.  Currently, we will not be surprised if our wait takes us into next fall/early winter.  While I feel like I SHOULD be upset about this, I'm not and I'm pretty sure I know why.  We waited three very long, trying, faith-stretching, patience-building, hopeful years for God to bless us with Sarah.  It was a test of my faith like no other I'd experienced and honestly, I nearly failed. What brought me into a place of peace with God's timing was the encouragement and challenge of God-given friends who spoke words of truth to us when we needed to hear them.  A verse sent to me by a wise friend reads, "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).  This verse changed my perspective, as I began to practice intentional gratitude "in all circumstances."  What I have learned as a result is that joy comes from contentedness rooted in gratitude. In this circumstance of extended waiting for our daughter to come home, I choose to focus on all the ways in which God's love, peace, hope, and power have revealed themselves to our family already in so many unexpected and undeserved ways.  

4 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing this, mary.
    i'm not there...but needed to hear this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. God's timing is the best timing, even if we don't understand it at the time. We continue to pray for you and for our new niece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you've been given some kind of update, at least. It's beautiful to hear of your okay-ness with the situation. Maybe right now your little girl is only thought of by you guys (and the rest of us) and not by the woman who will carry and birth her. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are in the beginning stages of adopting our daughter from Rwanda and I am struggling with the timing of everything. I think I really needed to read your words. They are so true!

    ReplyDelete