Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Decision to Adopt

Mary and I didn't come to the decision to adopt particularly quickly.  Although Mary had started thinking about adopting even right before Sarah, our youngest was born, it was a long process before she even approached me about it.  Besides, Sarah and the other two boys have been keeping us busy in the meantime!  Over the last few months it has come up more regularly between us and although I was reluctant at first, most of my reluctance was very practical in nature; space for another child, finances, could we handle four kids???

Although I asked Mary not to bring it up often as I was still processing it, I became more open to the idea over time and it became more apparent to Mary that we were called to adopt.  Eventually it became apparent to me that my resistance was not based on following God's desires for our lives but rather trying to maintain status quo.  The very next day, while we were out to dinner two Fridays ago, I told Mary that I was ready to commit and start figuring out where we go from here.  We also told the boys the same night, which was surprising to them.  They both love Sarah so much, we know they will be great big brothers.  Sarah didn't have much opinion on the issue yet however!

No comments:

Post a Comment