
Today, we accomplished a lot in regards to our home study. Late this afternoon, I drove to Jon's work to sign (and subsequently have notarized by an awesome admin in Jon's office) many, many documents for our home study. Jon had the paperwork all laid out on a conference room table, organized, and in order for everyone to sign (see photo on left). I was quite impressed with the work he'd done at initiating, completing, and organizing all of our home study paperwork. Let's just say my expectations have been raised ;) For those of you in the family who read this blog, it reminded me of the days when we'd help mom stuff envelopes at school. Big fun! After the paperwork was in order, we sped off to the AWAA offices in Mclean, VA for our first home study meeting. After a prayer and the sharing of scripture, a social worker led three couples (including us) through the "what to expect in a home study" info as well as information on what we can expect in welcoming an adopted child into our family. We have been reading quite a bit about what to expect in parenting an adopted child. So, much of the information was repetitive for us, but it's all good to hear multiple times. We were moved, especially tonight, by the verse the AWAA social worker shared with us from Psalm 37:
"Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him and he will do this:
He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.
Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him..."
We talked about the ways in which this verse spoke to us as prospective adoptive parents. I was struck most by the words "Commit" and "Trust." I feel like committing to adopt a child has been a real spiritual journey for our family which has grown us in obedience and love. I am in the process of exercising my trust in God's sovereign plan for our lives and especially for this adoption. I am learning a lot of hard stuff about adoptive parenting. While I know we are capable from a physical, emotional, and spiritual level of managing the hard stuff, I also know it will take more trust and reliance on God for wisdom, hope, and true joy.
I am continually encouraged by the words you write and process that you all are going through. It's quite beautiful, and I am honored to peek in on this journey.
ReplyDelete